donderdag 17 juni 2010

Marcel Lefrancq

As a big fan of surrealistic art, within the range of film, poetry and paintings, I just discovered a Belgian master of surrealistic photography: Marcel Lefrancq.
During my visit at the museum of Photography in Charleroi, I discovered his work and was somewhat embarrased to admit that I've never heard of him before, since he's Belgian and born in Mons.

Willing to make up for this lack of knowledge of this artist I did some research and soon found out he was not only a self-educated photographer, a man with a big interest in archeology, and a strong opposer of German Fascists, but also one of the first leading figures of surrealism in Belgium.

He may not be as well known as René Magritte, but his photographs, and collages speak to me in pretty much the same way, although his photos have a slightly darker side to it then I'm used to with Magritte.



AUX MAINS DE LA LUMIERE - 1948




UNTITLED - 1939

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten